A young mum-of-four from Dewsbury said she is at the ‘end of my tether’ after she allegedly found a gas leak in her council home which put her children’s lives at risk.
But her nightmare continued in early October when she woke up without any heating and later claims to have found a cracked gas pipe in the house after hearing a hiss.
She said a gas repairman who was called to the scene told her that her children were lucky not to have been ‘blown out the window’ by an explosion.
The furious mum said she was ‘beyond angry’ that her children’s lives have been put at risk – and claims the council has ignored her desperate pleas.
Natasha said: “I’m at the end of my tether and don’t have nowhere else to turn.
“I’m beyond angry that me and my children’s lives have been potentially at risk.
“I’m a young mother to four children and currently in a temporary accommodation house in Ravensthorpe through Kirklees Council.
“I have been homeless since March 21 after fleeing horrific domestic violence.
“On Saturday I woke up to no heating, I have called the council regarding this and was prompted to try and get my living room gas fire working.
“As I was waiting for the gas repairman, I attempted to clean the gas fire and heard a very loud hiss of gas leaking.
“The gas fire had a pipe underneath that was completely cracked and god knows how long this was leaking.
“The gas repairman turned up and very clearly said me and my children were lucky to have not been blown out of the window or have this house on top of us.”
Natasha claims to have shown a councillor pictures of the cracked pipe but has yet to hear back despite promises that they would take the matter ‘very seriously’.
She added: “I also tried to have a meeting with the local councillor to no avail.
“I was told they’re taking this very seriously but again I’ve not been further contacted like they said they would.”
Councillor Cathy Scott, cabinet member for housing and democracy, said the property had passed its annual gas safety certification checks in June.
Cllr Scott said: “We take very seriously our responsibilities for servicing and maintaining gas supply into our properties.
“This property underwent its annual gas safety certification checks in June and passed.
“The gas fire had previously been disconnected from the gas supply and the appliance and pipework was tested and no gas leaks were recorded.
“We did not carry out any other repair works on this property until our emergency team went out on 2 October to a report of no heating.
Enter your postcode to see which businesses are delivering near you
“Our engineer, on arrival, found that the gas utilities had capped the gas supply off to this fire due to a gas leak and the pipe under the fire did present signs of a leak.
“I would like to remind all our tenants and every other household of the importance of only using Gas Safe registered engineers to carry out any gas works.”
To get the latest email updates from Yorkshire Live, click here .